MNCLHD Health Innovation and Research Symposium
Outline of the Event
The third Innovation and Research Symposium was held on 16-17 August 2018 at the Bonville Golf Resort, Coffs Harbour. This year’s Program focused on the theme of Volume to Value.
The Symposium was attended by more than 130 health professionals, senior managers, academics and consumer representatives who heard from a number of high profile and influential keynote speakers including:
- Professor Patrick McGorry AO, Executive Director of Orygen
- Professor Andrew Searles and Penny Reeves from Hunter Medical Research Institute
- Clinicians from Chris O’Brien Lifehouse
- Adjunct Professor Annette Solman and Maggie Crowley from the NSW Health Education and Training Institute (HETI)
- Jacqueline Linke from Sydney Trains
- Allan Ryan from Hargraves Institute for Innovation
- Carrie Marr from the NSW Clinical Excellence Commission (CEC)
- Dr Jean-Frédéric Lévesque from the NSW Agency for Clinical Innovation (ACI)A number of interactive workshops were also held across the two-day Program on Patient Reported Measures, Knowledge Translation and Lean Value Driven Health Care.
A number of interactive workshops were also held across the two-day Program on Patient Reported Measures, Knowledge Translation and Lean Value Driven Health Care.
Three concurrent sessions were also held on Day One, Thursday 16 August covering the themes of Innovation, Better Value Care and Research. Each session had six presenters coming from across NSW.
Open Innovation Challenge
The MNCLHD in conjunction with the Coffs Coast Innovation Hub and Learning Guide hosted an Open Innovation Challenge during the six months leading into the Symposium to look at new solutions to address two issues for MNCLHD with each Challenge attracting a $5,000 cash reward.
Challenge 1: Reduce the rate of Aboriginal mothers smoking in pregnancy
The winners were Sarah Perkes and Noelene Skinner with their MAMAS & BUBS App
Challenge 2: Reduce Youth Suicide
The winner was Bec Minichilli with The Empowerment Project.
Finalists were Dave Horsley (Nextwave) and Nick Johnstone (The Rites of Passage: The Bishop Druitt Way).